Licences & Laws

Driving and Vehicle Standard Agency



Mopeds (AM and q)

All licences issued on or after 19 January 2013 will show moped categories as AM and q in place of category p. But if you held full category p before this date you’ll keep this entitlement and it will be shown on your licence together with new categories AM and q.


Motorcycles (A1, A2 and A)

There are different minimum age restrictions and power outputs for the different categories. If you are an existing tricycle rider you won’t lose the entitlement you currently hold.

Tests for mopeds with 3 or 4 wheels, A1 and A tricycles and sidecar combinations will only be offered to physically disabled drivers or riders.

Theory Test

2 parts to the test:

  • multiple-choice questions

  • hazard perception - a video test about spotting hazards on the road


You book and take them as a single test but must pass both parts to pass the test.


Can take the theory test from:

  • 16th birthday onwards if you’re learning to ride a moped (no more than 50cc)

  • 17th birthday onwards if you’re learning to ride a motorcycle


You can take the theory test before or after you take your compulsory basic training (CBT) but you need to have passed before taking a full licence motorcycle test.

You do not need to take the theory test if you passed a moped/motorcycle test after 1 July 1996 and want to either:

  • take the motorcycle test on a category A1 small motorcycle

  • upgrade your motorcycle licence under the ‘progressive access’ (also known as ‘staged access’) rules


If you have a full car licence you still have to pass a motorcycle theory test before taking the motorcycle test.

  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube
01202 573869 
Bournemouth - Dorset - England - United Kingdom